Santa Clara University Emergency Medical Services is a student run and operated medical care organization. We are operated by a volunteer staff of up to 40 Nationally Certified and State Licensed EMT-Basics. Our program operates under the guidance and licenses of several medical professionals from the Cowell Center who function as our Medical Directors. We work closely with Santa Clara University Campus Safety Services to provide emergency medical care to the University campus from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. when the health center is closed. Our shifts each night and morning are manned by three or four EMT-B's.
How We Operate:
We are dispatched to any emergency scenes on campus that require medical personnel by and alongside Campus Safety Services. Any student calling the CSS Emergency Phone - (408) 554-4444 - can request medical attention from SCU EMS.
- Respond to any medical emergency that occurs on university property
- Provide stabilizing medical care and Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Call ambulances for any patient in need of immediate hospital care
- Provide important information pertaining to many injuries and conditions
- Respond to events or emergencies which occur off campus (call 911!)
- Provide Advanced Life Support (ALS) or perform invasive procedures
- Transport patients to hospitals independent of local EMS/Fire agencies
- Diagnose conditions or prescribe/provide medications